Thursday, June 6, 2013

Dear 16-year old Me,

10 years is a long time to grow up. And grow up I did. After a decade's worth of living my life, I believe I've learned a thing or two. About myself, about the people around me, about the world. I'm learning still. Honestly, I don't know enough. But I know enough to tell you that life is beautiful! And that you are worth it. If only I had a big sister 10 years older who would also tell me the same things I am going to tell you now. So listen up. What I am going to tell you would make life so much easier.

First. You are beautiful. You just don't know it. You don't see it. But others do. I do. You haven't fully gotten out of that awkward stage. Still the ugly duckling. But you'll soon see, that ugly ducklings turn into swans. Beautiful swans. So don't be too hard on yourself. Appreciate that your body is fully functional and healthy. Try to look your best everyday, of course. And learn to love that tiny girl in glasses in the mirror. You'll be surprised to hear what other people say about you 10 years after.

Second. Be kind to your sister. Be her friend. Do not brush away like you always do, you hot-headed little tiger, you. She looks up to you. She needs you. And you need her. I know she's a little annoying, incredibly stubborn, and just a bit self-centered at times. But hey, we all have our flaws. Besides, it's your job as big sister to guide her through life.

Third. Find your faith again. Cultivate it. Cherish it, and practice it. I cannot stress enough how important this is. Your faith will keep you stable, steady, strong. It will help you grow wisdom, and a kind heart, a heart that looks out, not only for herself, but for others, too. It will guide you through life like no one will, especially on this next one.

Fourth. You will be starting college soon. When picking out a course, do not listen to your mother! I'm just kidding. Listen to Ma and Pa, but listen also to your heart. This is where your faith comes in. Back then, I felt completely lost. I didn't know what i wanted. I had a hint, but I wasn't sure. Faith would have pulled me through. It would have given me all the advice I needed, all the wisdom necessary to determine the course that would make me happy. I've had my regrets. I hope you wouldn't have to go through the same.

Fifth. Do not be in a rush to get a boyfriend. Yes, i know. You feel left out because just about everybody has experienced being in a relationship, or is in one. But, please. Don't let that get to you. You are young and beautiful. You can have anybody you want. Believe me. Listen to you parents, too. Trust me. They know better than we do.

Sixth. In relation to the above advice, when you do get in a relationship, please. Do not lose yourself. Your pride is your best friend. Keep it, do not bury it! like I once did. Like I said, you are worth more than you know. Know when enough is enough. Be strong and value yourself. Think! Use your mind, do not rely so much on your emotions. We both know you can get extremely emotional. Think and follow your guts.

Last, do not rush. Relax. I know you want to experience all there is while "young". But what is young? You can be young forever if you so wish! And don't pressure yourself so much. You will achieve great things, I promise you that. Maybe not in 5 years, maybe not even in 10. (Though it would be fantastic if you did. No pressure) But everything has its own time. So sit back, enjoy life and its many twists and turns. You won't ever go back once you've gone past it.

Love,
26-year old Me

10 comments:

  1. What great advice Marj! So touching and honestly written...brought a tear to my eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are wise beyond your 26 years. You are inspiring. Share your gifts with the world!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful, love all your advice!
    Hearttouching and so honest.
    Wish you a beautiful day
    Eos

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful advice! I love that at times you spoke to her as if life could turn out differently. Like you were talking to someone other than your former self...someone here today. Very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much. I'm so glad you found it inspiring!

      Delete
  5. I love this heart warming post. Every word is filled with vulnerability, love and compassion for your younger self. I have to tell you that my 16 year old self could have used your words of wisdom. The post is the perfect length and I would not change a word of it. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had known these things 10 years back, myself! Thank you for your wonderful comment, Lydia. It made me smile. :)

      Delete